hi,
On Do, 2008-09-25 at 01:11 -0700, Turgut Durduran wrote:
> 1 - Can I upgrade from existing installation? If so, is it a "dist-upgrade"
> like regular ubuntu? Is it going to create troubles? (I have some amount of
> customization but not too much).
the ubuntu-mobile flavour as a metapackage didnt exist before, you can
indeed upgrade to 9.04 (or the final 8.10) if you have installed from
the image (which seems to have installer issues atm, i will resolve
these before release in october)... if you have a stardard ubuntu
desktop installation it should be possible to just install the
ubuntu-mobile package on top which should get you all applications and
the setup for ubuntu mobile.

> 2 - Which of the two would work "better" on Samsung Q1? I donot care too much
> about video, webcam etc. I mostly want to use this as a note-taking (both via
> an external keyboard and via the touch screen -- using xournal), internet
> (mainly to check e-mail on the go and some web-sites), storage, pdf-viewer,
> projection/presentation.

it really depends on your taste and the set of apps you expect to get,
ubuntu-mobile has the advantage of not needing any modifications, apps
will directly register into your menu etc, the old 8.04 hildonized
desktop had issues with xdg compatibility (solved in the intrepid
version) for example ...
> Also, are there people here interested in customizing this for "scientific"
> use? (include some touchscreen calculators, plotting utilities, xournal,
> perhaps some voice recording, presentation software etc)
sure, for now ubuntu-mobile is thought as a first shot thing to generate
as much feedback as possible and gain us hardware info and info about
apps that need love, it might change a lot in jaunty (9.04) and we can
easily create a ubuntu-mobile-science addon package that pulls in the
selected apps ... (btw xournal is included by default already)

ciao
        oli