Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Reviewers and Packagers,
>
>     At the recent MOTU Meeting, a set of guidelines for new package
> review was reviewed.  This list is meant to supplement reviewers base
> opinions when reviewing packages, and provide for a relatively stable
> set of criteria when packagers are deciding if their packages should
> be uploaded to REVU.  Please keep these guidelines in mind when either
> packaging new software or reviewing candidates for upload.  The
> guidelines are broken into three separated goal-oriented sections, as
> follows:
>
> Packaging review
>     1.  Package must meet Ubuntu versioning & Maintainer requirements
>     2.  Package must match current Ubuntu (and Debian) packaging policies
>     3.  Package should be linda & lintian clean
>     4.  Contents of debian/ should be sane

While I find there guidelines really appropriate, I would like to propose
another point:

     4b.  Contents of diff.gz should be in debian/. i.e. no inline patching.

I say this because I looked yesterday at wxwidgets2.6 merge. And it was really
difficult for me, since a) patches were applied inline in the source and b) it
was a native package, so I didn't have a diff.gz to look for our patches. So I
would propose that inline patching is only allowed for SRUs and Security
updates. Of course if the package isn't native it will have the changes in the
diff.gz, but anyway that's not ideal.

What do you guys think about it?

Cheers,
Emilio