On 09.11.2009 16:05, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> Either that, or have them removed from the ubuntu archive because of
> license violation. Or get them ported to libavformat.

Removal is a bit harsh. Let's look at the rdepends:

  xubuntu-restricted-extras
  ubuntu-restricted-extras
  mpeg4ip-utils
  mpeg4ip-server
  libmp4v2-dev
  kid3-qt
  kid3
  faac
  easytag-aac
  exfalso

The first five will pose no problems. kid3 and faac can be built without
libmp4v2 support (in fact, for kid3, this is our only divergence from
Debian).

exfalso (part of quodlibet) doesn't use libmp4v2 directly, and it is
only in Suggests. It uses the python-mutagen library, which implements
MP4 support entirely in Python and doesn't depend on libmp4v2. In fact,
I have no idea why the suggest is even there - I'll talk to the Debian
maintainer about this.

easytag-aac is a separate binary package, identical to easytag except
for the packaging. It's an approach similar to gtkpod-aac, two different
packages built with and without libmp4v2 - and I think we should
eventually get rid of easytag-aac just as we made gtkpod-aac a
transitional package in Karmic, by patching the source to load the
library with dlopen/dlsym instead of linking to it.

Finally, there is gtkpod, which is patched to use the dlopen approach
and thus not listed here.

In short, this leaves us with four applications currently using libmp4v2
in Ubuntu: kid3, faac, gtkpod, and easytag (assuming easytag-aac will be
merged and removed). They can all be built without libmp4v2 (sacrificing
the functionality for MP4 metadata), but perhaps we can instead contact
upstreams and ask them to relicense with linking exceptions? If the
licenses allow this, getting an exception at least for gtkpod won't be a
problem, since that code is part mine and part by someone I can contact
easily.

I think mpeg4ip has to go regardless of whether there will be
dependencies on libmp4v2 left. If there are, we'll upload the new
standalone version.