Hello Barry,

On 28.03.2014 10:13, Barry Drake wrote:
Hi there ....  In a mad moment, I volunteered to update the Xiphos and
BibleTime packages.  I've since been trawling through lots of online
material and find myself getting more and more confused.  The previous
packager contacted me to say that it is easy to re-build from the
existing template ....  but no detail ....

I'm just not getting the picture so far.  I do have a build environment
set up, and have built the latest versions; it's just the packaging I
don't understand.  I did unpack the packages concerned, and go even more
confused when I saw that they don't seem to contain any binary files.

Well, so much for an introduction.

you might want to have a look at

        http://packaging.ubuntu.com/

where the first 3-4 articles should give you an idea of how to take a source(!) package, which files are relevant, how to build a binary(!) package from it, which files to modify, etc.

If you have any more questions, just ask on the list or on #ubuntu-motu on irc.freenode.net.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! http://packaging.ubuntu.com