On Jul 7, 2021, at 07:33, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
On 7.7.2021 2.59, Kyle J. McKay wrote:
On Jul 5, 2021, at 03:45, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
On 5.7.2021 12.24, Kyle J. McKay wrote:
Hello Alberto,
Thank you very much for posting the i386/amd64 builds of the
nvidia 470 drivers!  Much appreciated.  :)
I have been wanting to switch to Wayland for some time.
Reviewing the release notes for the 470 driver:
<https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/470.42.01/README/xwayland.html >
It lists these as "necessary to accelerated rendering on
Xwayland with the NVIDIA driver":
* "DRM KMS must be enabled."
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-drm.conf:
        options nvidia-drm modeset=1
  CHECK.
* "The installed copy of Xwayland should be a build from the master
  branch of https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver at least
  as recent as commit c468d34c. Note that if this requirement is
  not satisfied, the NVIDIA GPU can still be used for rendering,
  however it will fall back to a suboptimal path for presentation
  resulting in degraded performance."
  commit 763f4fb278 cherry picks c468d34c and is first included in
  the xwayland-21.1.1.901 release on 2021-06-30 which
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/xwayland
  impish now has. :)
  CHECK.
* "libxcb version 1.13 or later must be present."
  For some years now it looks like.
  CHECK.
* "If using the GNOME desktop environment, kms-modifiers must be
  enabled through gsettings. This can be done with the following
  command:
gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features [\"kms- modifiers\"]
  " trivial.
  CHECK.
* "egl-wayland version 1.1.7 or later must be present (if installed
  separately from the the NVIDIA driver)."
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/libnvidia-egl-wayland1
  Version 1.1.5   Oh no.  :(
Foiled by egl-wayland.
I notice that Arch linux has built version 1.1.7:
  https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/egl-wayland/
And it's been released upstream (2021-05-11):
  https://github.com/NVIDIA/egl-wayland/releases/tag/1.1.7
Any chance you might be able to add an i386/amd64 build of version
1.1.7 libnvidia-egl-wayland1 to your
https://launchpad.net/~albertomilone/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia- testing
PPA repository?
Or perhaps get impish's libnvidia-egl-wayland1 version bumped up to
1.1.7 since that version appears to have actually been released?
I have Cc'd this message to the maintainer of the libnvidia-egl- wayland1
package just in case.
Thank you,
Kyle McKay

egl-wayland 1.1.7-1 uploaded to experimental, will get synced to impish
later.

Timo thank you very much!
The 1.1.7 build has made its way into impish already:
  https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/libnvidia-egl-wayland1
  Package: libnvidia-egl-wayland1 (1:1.1.7-1) [universe]
  amd64 arm64 armhf ppc64el s390x
However, since libnvidia-gl:
  # currently available 465
  https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/libnvidia-gl-465
  # experimental build of 470
<https://launchpad.net/~albertomilone/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia-testing/+sourcepub/12507185/+listing-archive-extra > both provide "amd64 i386" but the libnvidia-egl-wayland1 impish
package lacks an i386 build, the i386 version of the libnvidia-gl
drivers will be crippled when it comes to wayland performance when
running 32-bit only graphics apps (i.e. games) on a 64-bit system.
Of course, anyone so affected can just grab the 1.1.7 egl-wayland
i386 .deb directly from:
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/egl-wayland/
But it would be nice to get the ubuntu libnvidia-egl-wayland1
universe package updated to include i386 so that's not necessary.
Any idea how to make that happen?
I have cc'd this message to the universe maintainers list just in case.
Thanks,
Kyle McKay

It just needed to be added to the whitelist of packages to build on i386 as Alberto mentioned, and that has been done now. Will take a while to appear on the archive.

Thank you, I see that impish now has an i386 build of egl-wayland 1.1.7 available.

As the final coup de grĂ¢ce for this campaign, :) I've filed a bug report asking for the egl-wayland package to be moved from universe to main:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/egl-wayland/+bug/1935082

Thanks for all your help with this Timo and Alberto!

--Kyle