Hi Alexandre,

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 07:06:32PM +0100, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> I would like to adopt LMOD. The Debian Maintainer gave up years ago, since
> he's not working in High-Performance Computing anymore.

Thank you for volunteering to help look after this package!

Please note that packages in Ubuntu don't have nominated maintainers
like they do in Debian. Packages are always looked after by a relevant
team - in this case MOTU. So you can "adopt" it in Ubuntu in the sense
that become the person doing the work on it, but there is no specific
status to acquire here apart from everyone's gratitude. Once you've
developed a track record you can apply to upload directly to Ubuntu
without supervision, but initially you will need a sponsor to review
first. However, it's probably easier to upload to Debian for most tasks
- see below.

> I have spoken to LMOD's developers at TACC and they will be happy if we can
> have an up-to-date version of the software around.

Great!

> I'm trying to become the official maintainer on Debian as well, but the
> process there seems to be slower, and as I'm already an Ubuntu Member for
> so long, I realized I could begin through here.

It looks to me like the package in Debian qualifies under Debian's
"package salvaging" process
(https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#package-salvaging).
So I think you can just go ahead with that in Debian given that you've
had no response to your offer to adopt the package in response to the
RFA.

Either way (via Debian or Ubuntu) you will need a mentor, and if you
update the package in Debian then Ubuntu will automatically sync (if it
lands before the freeze on Feb 24). So I suggest that you start by
preparing your upload using Debian's salvaging process and seek
sponsorship in Debian through mentors.debian.net. Then you'll get both
distros updated with a single effort.

> The package is ready: https://github.com/surak/Lmod

I'm sorry I don't have time to look at detail in this, but I noticed a
couple of things that you'll probably want to fix before submitting to
mentors.debian.net. Ultimately what's acceptable will depend on your
sponsor though.

1. The new version string should use a non-native version. See
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-version
for details.

2. The current (previous?) Debian maintainer was using gbp
master/upstream/pristine-tar branches, so I would continue using them,
at least initially, by providing updated versions of these branches too.
You might want to learn how git-buildpackage works.

Hope that helps!

Robie