On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 05:52:43AM +0000, c.bu...@posteo.jp wrote:
Dear Athos,

thanks for explaining.

Why does Ubuntu use Launchpad in that case? Why this step between? Why not using the sources directly from ubstream?

While I am not in a position to give you a final answer to your
question, given I was not, and am not involved in launchpad development,
distributing software usually involves being able to reproduce builds,
or rebuild a component with fixes or with fixed dependencies. It is also
important to be able to trace components for security reasons. If you'd
just fetch the source code for a given package from an external source
and build a binary from it without caching these sources somehow, you
would need to fetch the same sources again in case you need to patch or
rebuild that software component. At this point, you would be trusting
that this external source will always be available, and that it will
never change.

And one sidequestion: Why does debian build its own package for backintime? It is in Debian? Why not use the Debian package? Isn't Ubuntu "based on Debian"?

Please, read

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment;
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu/ForDebianDevelopers; and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debian/ForUbuntuDevelopers