* Marco A. Harrendorf <marcoka...@web.de> wrote:
> I tried out starting of native X11 applications on my phone ...
>
> Starting graphical X11 programs on my Ubuntu Phone is working
> quite well, ...

> * Install Fluxbox as window manager
> sudo apt-get install fluxbox
> * Install some Web Browser like Dillo, Firefox and Chromium
> sudo apt-get install dillo

I'm really happy to hear this is do-able now.  Running
full-fledged desktop apps on a phone was the #1 feature I and
many of my friends were excited about when the Ubuntu Edge was
announced, and it seems to be getting very close!  :)

... and I'm also feeling a little smug that Dillo was the first
app in your example, since it has been my favorite browser ever
since I used it in Familiar Linux on an iPaq/Zaurus.

I wonder if the Matchbox window manager is still any good.  It
was designed for phones and is still in the package
repositories...  Looks like my old xkbd fitaly layout is now
included in xvkbd, too.  I could totally rebuild my Linux PDA
interface from 2002.  :)

If I recall correctly, my iPaq is still configured like this,
sitting in storage somewhere:

  http://toykeeper.net/ipaq/gfx/screenshots/2002-11-11.fitalyslashdot.png

It always worked a little nicer on my Palm Pilot though, which
used a paper overlay on the graffiti area for nice writing
texture, and handled key slide-offs in up to eight directions:

  http://toykeeper.net/keyboard/palm/gfx/thumb_fitaly-3.3.png

(note, if it asks for auth, copy/paste the URLs to bypass the
http referrer check)

-- Selene