On 09/21/2012 02:31 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
Back on the laptop, no more top posting.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Charlie Kravetz
<c...@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM, chris hermansen <clherman...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unity is not working on my older Toshiba A70, once I log in (This machine
automatically falls over to Unity-2d in 12.04 and prior).

Right now I am staring at a nice royal blue screen. The touch pad can move
the cursor but that is about it. no decoration of any kind. no response to
right clicks.

I can ctrl alt f1 into a terminal session.

at the end of syslog i see warnings few gnome-session:

WARNING: App 'compiz.desktop' respawning too quickly
CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. sorry...

not sure how to file a bug report for this.

It's possible this machine has an old video card that is not supported
by Unity. It has always fallen back to 2d, is it even 3d capable? Or,
does Unity no longer require 3d capability?
Charlie, this laptop ran Gnome 2 with compiz quite well as far as I
could ever tell.
All the 3d and shading stuff seemed to work fine.

However, ever since Unity it has always fallen back to 2d.

It seems to run 2d fine with Compiz replacing Metacity, right up to 12.04.

It is a Radeon IGP9100.

I had read that this release of Unity was intended to work with older cards
due to some new middleware which I cannot now remember.
Indeed, is seems like Charlie is correct in this case then. You might just consider sticking with precise if you want to run unity (which btw, isn't such a bad idea anyway :-) ). Obviously, if your able, keep checking out how the newer releases handle on your laptop, but if it ran unity2d before, there was a reason it defaulted to it.

Nicholas