Greetings,

I just tested the daily build (2018-02-25 17:06) for Lubuntu 18.04
Bionic. Just to see how things are going and if anything breaks for me.
This is just a simple report of my experiences and issues.

I dumped the ISO to USB and it booted just fine. The Live environment is
really slick. I like it quite a bit and I decided to do an install into
a spare 40GB LVM partition.

The laptop is a second-hand standard Surface Pro 2. Nothing fancy. 16.04
has some issues with the wireless and the keyboard which is why I was
curious about testing 18.04.

The hard drive is carved up as such:
/efi 541 bytes
/dev/sda1 /boot
/dev/sda2 LUKS encrypted partition.

Encrypted partition is all LVM carved up as such:
pro2-bionic 40GB /
pro2-swap 4GB swap

I ignored all of the other LVM partitions. While I don't care about
whether or not I can boot into those other partitions, I don't want to
lose the data (it is also backed up, I just don't want to do a restore)
so I purposefully had it ignore them.

Problem #1.1. The daily build graphical installer. I could select a
partition for LUKS crypto, but it wouldn't refresh to let me mount it as
existing. Never asked for a password. Nothing. Obviously, I couldn't
install. I had to drop to the command line and manually 'cryptsetup
luksOpen' the device before the installer would look at the partitions
inside.

Problem #2.1. The daily build does not have LVM installed. Thus, the
installer couldn't see my partitions. I had to install lvm2. Which means
network...

Problem #3. SystemD in all of its grand wisdom kept jacking with my DNS.
My DHCP supplies the correct DNS, it even lists it with Network Manager.
However, my /etc/resolv.conf kept being rewritten to point to 127.0.0.1
which - duh, doesn't work. Finally I just modified it then changed the
attribute setting the file to immutable. No more DNS problems! (take
that systemd! :-) Whatever is making that stupid decision should
probably be fixed before it gets to the masses. I can chattr that file
but can the average user? Probably not. It's probably best they get
network access without being molested by the init system.

Finally, the installer saw my partitions and I could install. Whooo!! I
had it format and install /boot fresh on /dev/sda1 just so that it
wasn't battling my other OS's. Success! Reboot...Fail.

Problem #2.2. The installer had no idea what LVM was. Reboot into live
USB. Re-download LVM. Chroot into my install. Install lvm2 and packages.
Rebuild grub. Awesome! Reboot...Fail.

Problem #1.2. Now the installer is looking for LVM, but fails because it
doesn't know what to do with LUKS. Doh! I tried fixing it, and broke
GRUB. I might attempt a GRUB repair later. I'm kinda out of time to poke
around at it though.

So, on one hand a fail because I don't have a working system. On the
other hand a success because I wanted to test out my work flow and find
out what is busted and I certainly did that! :-)

I will be happy to answer questions/try stuff if someone wants me to.
I'm just limited on time the next few days, so please don't get upset if
I don't respond until later in the week.

Thanks everyone who is helping with this. I really like the Lubuntu Live
image and I am quite excited about the Bionic release.

~Stack~