Hello,

I want to report two bugs in the built-in file explorer in Ubuntu
Desktop 18.04. I can't be bothered to first create a Launchpad account,
so I'm sending my bug report to this e-mail address instead and hope
that it will end up in the hands of the responsible developers. You
should really make an effort to simplify for users who are willing to
take the time to troubleshoot and contribute with bug reports...

Bug no. 1:

The other day I moved all the files from one folder to another with the
cut+paste method, and then I deleted the now (presumably) empty source
folder. However, I then noticed that only about 20% of the files had
actually been moved, and the rest had been deleted along with the
original folder.

I see two possible explanations for this bug. They are both related to
the fact that the file explorer program apparently carries out
subsequent file operations asynchronously (as opposed to queuing them),
even when they apply to the same files/folders, which can cause race
conditions. Either the cut operation didn't apply to all the files in
the original folder: I used Ctrl+A to select all the files before
pressing Ctrl+X, but perhaps the cut operation was executed before all
the files had been selected (the folder contained quite a large number
of files, and there is usually a delay after entering a folder during
which the thumbnails are being refreshed). The other possible
explanation is that all the files *were* being moved, but then the
delete operation was carried out before the move operation had time to
finish.

Also, it might be relevant that the source folder was a direct
sub-folder of the target folder, which means that the files became
"siblings" to their previous containing folder as their were being
moved. One further explanation for the bug could be that after I
selected the source folder to delete it, the remaining files appeared
just in time and became selected at the same time, thus being deleted
along with the folder. Again, a race condition.

This is a very serious bug. I will never see those files again, as I
used Ctrl+Del when deleting the source folder.

Bug no. 2:

The following happens for me very frequently. Say I have the following
folder structure:

|- B
|- C
|- some other files/folders...

I'm currently browsing the folder B. Then I go up one level, to A, by
pressing backspace. I then immediately double-click on the icon for C to
enter into it. Very frequently, this instead takes me back into folder B.

What appears to be happening is that when I go up from B to A, if I
double-click the icon for C while the thumbnails in A are being
refreshed, the program registers that I have double-clicked something,
but after the thumbnail refresh has finished, the "selected folder"
reverts back to B. Hence, the program thinks I double-clicked the icon
for B instead.

I'm available at this e-mail address for follow-up questions.

Yours Sincerely,
Linus