I hope everyone will appreciate this cautionary tale:

Today I was upgrading my 19.10 laptop to 20.04 "using update-manager -d".

While the GUI application was running, I noticed some messages I didn't
like in the terminal window where I started it, so I highlighted them and
did CTRL-C to copy... right, not CTRL-SHIFT-C, but CTRL-C, so I interrupted
update-manager...

Long story short - one dpkg file was corrupted; I deleted it and then was
able to recover the installation by using dpkg -i --reconfigure and apt
update -f.

Don't try this at home, folks.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.