Andrei Datcu wrote on 24/07/2023:
> Hello!
>
> This is my first submission and as such I would like to report a
> vulnerability: CVE-2023-3269, named "Stack Rot".
>
> This is a flaw in the handling of stack expansion. I won't go into too many
> details, as I am a linux sysadmin, not a programmer and I will leave sources
> below from the discoverer of this vulnerability and the git merge message
> that Linus Torvalds published.
> An unprivileged local user could use this flaw to compromise the kernel and
> escalate their privileges. On June 28th, during the merge window for Linux
> kernel 6.5, the fix was merged into Linus' tree.
> The patches were also backported to stable kernel (6.1.37, 6.3.11 and 6.4.1),
> so the bug was resolved since July 1st. However, in my testing of Mantic
> Minotaur, the daily build from 24072023, I have noticed that the kernel it
> was using was version 6.3.0-7. And I haven't seen any submissions regarding
> this on lists.ubuntu.com, so I decided to post it here to. hopefully, apply
> the patch to the kernel.

Hello, the CVE is known already, how it affects Ubuntu is tracked here:

https://ubuntu.com/security/CVE-2023-3269

https://launchpad.net/bugs/cve/CVE-2023-3269

Please note that this mailing list is not the right channel to report
security issues in Ubuntu. Better ways are:

- Report a bug against the relevant Ubuntu package, setting the
information type to "Public Security" or "Private Security".

- Directly email the security team. See the "How to report an issue to
us" section here: https://ubuntu.com/security/disclosure-policy.

Thanks,

Paride