Hi Phil,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 05:01:58PM +0100, Phil Roche wrote:
> Hi all,

> We at Canonical Public Cloud team build the Ubuntu Google Cloud images and
> we often have requests from Google to update the versions of the agent
> packages in the images.

> There is currently a special case granted for gce-compute-image-packages @
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Documentation_for_Special_Cases
> which was granted in 2017.

> > *gce-compute-image-packages*The source package gce-compute-image-packages
> > may be uploaded according to the procedure documented in
> > gce-compute-image-packages-Updates
> > <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/gce-compute-image-packages-Updates>. Per
> > Technical Board discussion regarding delegation of these decisions to the
> > SRU team, this stable release exception has been approved by BrianMurray
> > for the SRU team as of 2017-03-10.

> Google agent packages have evolved and new packages are now used to provide
> the same and additional functionality:

>    - google-compute-engine
>    <https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/google-compute-engine>
>    - google-compute-engine-oslogin
>    <https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/google-compute-engine-oslogin>
>    - google-guest-agent
>    <https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/google-guest-agent>
>    - google-osconfig-agent
>    <https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/google-osconfig-agent>
>
> We seek an exception for these new packages in line with the existing
> exception granted for gce-compute-image-packages.

> As per
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Documentation_for_Special_Cases
> I have drafted new wiki pages for each of these packages:
>
>    - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/google-compute-engine-Updates
>    - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/google-compute-engine-oslogin-Updates
>    - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/google-guest-agent-Updates
>    - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/google-osconfig-agent-Updates

> The reason for the exception request is the same as the original request:

> Cloud platforms evolve at a rate that can't be handled in six-month
> > increments, and they will often develop features that they would like to be
> > available to customers who don't want to upgrade from earlier Ubuntu
> > releases. As such, updating %AGENT PAKCAGE% to more recent upstream
> > releases is required within all Ubuntu releases, so they continue to
> > function properly in their environment.

> Please let me know if you need any further information to support this
> request.

+1 from the SRU team for this exception.  Please update
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Documentation_for_Special_Cases
to link to these exception pages.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org