On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 01:14:27PM +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2023 at 04:16, Steve Langasek <steve.langa...@ubuntu.com>
> wrote:

> > Thanks for raising this valid concern.

> > On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:47:23PM +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> > > Debian bookworm is scheduled to be released on June 10. Debian Import
> > > Freeze is currently scheduled for about six weeks later, on August 17. Do
> > > we want to shut off debian imports early, basically as soon as bookworm
> > > releases, to avoid having all our work overwhelmed by a bunch of
> > > transitions in Debian?

> > In addition to the counterpoints raised by Jeremy and Seb, I'd point out
> > that moving up the Debian import freeze would also be an obstacle to
> > landing
> > the 64-bit time_t migration this cycle, which I think we definitely want to
> > do in 23.10, not in 24.04.

> Ah we are going to try that for 24.04 are we? Somehow I had the feeling we
> were going to be more cautious. But I think it's probably a good idea to
> get it over with.

Well, the longer we spend on it, the more time we're going to have to spend
re-analyzing libraries in the archive to identify ABI breaks as things
drift.  And my proposal in Debian has been to kick this off when trixie
opens.  So I do think it's better for us to move forward.

We definitely don't want our dpkg-buildflags to differ from Debian's on this
for any significant amount of time.

> Do you think the necessary people are convinced on the Debian side to land
> this early in trixie or is there still more arguing to be done there?

We still don't have a definitive agreement on what to do with i386, but I
think that will shake out once we have a dpkg-buildflags implementation to
discuss.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org