I have checked the newly added section regarding the Feature Freeze
exception not applying (but other freezes, such as Beta Freeze, still
do) and it all seems to make sense to me now. I think the wording is
clear enough regarding the intentions.

As I think Steve's concerns have been addressed, I'm signing this off
on behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team.

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 at 12:25, Christian Ehrhardt
<christian.ehrha...@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 5:12 AM Steve Langasek <steve.langa...@ubuntu.com>
> wrote:

>> > As you can imagine that was not the purpose, good call to straighten that
>> > before approval.
>> > OTOH I do not want this to cause yet another 4 month detour, so let me try
>> > to make a suggestion below.

>> > You are right, there is some freezing and deep freezing here :-)
>> > We already have this statement in the document:
>>
>> > "However, beta freeze and final freeze will still apply in order to manage
>> > risk in the release itself."
>>
>> > And of those, while Beta itself is short, it starts the mentioned ~3 strict
>> > weeks before release.
>> > If we'd just extend that statement to something like the following, do you
>> > think that would work or do you expect wider modifications?
>>
>> > "However, beta freeze and final freeze will still apply in order to manage
>> > risk in the release itself. In fact we consider the intentionally more
>> > conservative three week period from beta freeze to release one that we can
>> > not just ignore, we might have uploads but would expect them to be part of
>> > the same scrutiny any upload gets at that time."
>>
>> I propose the following modified language, which I think captures the intent
>> as simply as possible:
>>
>>    Since these feature changes may land in stable releases at any time,
>>    adhering to feature freeze during the development cycle would be
>>    counterproductive as those changes would be forced to land after release
>>    instead.  Therefore, feature freeze will not apply when the changes are in
>>    scope of this document.  However, from beta freeze on uploads of this
>>    package will be subject to the same additional scrutiny by the Release
>>    Team as any other package.
>

> That works perfectly fine for us.
> The rest of [1] was already in the state that was discussed and agreed so
> far, therefore I updated the paragraph in [1] to use your words and this
> should now be complete.
>
> [1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuAdvantageToolsUpdates
>
>> > But this all falls under "FeatureFreeze", we don't have any separate freeze

>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
>> Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
>> Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
>> slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org
>

> --
> Christian Ehrhardt