On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Imre Gergely <gi...@narancs.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:57:25 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Carsten Aulbert
>> <carsten.aulb...@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> From the package description of cron-apt:
>>>
>>> [..]
>>> Contains a tool that is run by a cron job at regular intervals. By
>>> default it
>>>  just updates the package list and downloads new packages without
>>> installing.
>>>  You can instruct it to run anything that you can do with apt-get
>>>  (or aptitude).
>>> [..]
>>
>> Ohh thanks its my fault I missed that part.
>>>
>>> Thus you possibly need to configure it, to run the updates automatically
>>> - but
>>> I'm not sure if that is a good thing because it could break the system or
>>> you
>>> won't get an updates kernel live as this might require a reboot.
>>
>> You are correct as I have experienced this in past.
>> I have a test machine for doing this to see if every thing is working.
>> I can try if you suggest any thing on that.So that before I deploy it
>> on a production machine
>> I am sure that things are working.
>
> I'm using apt-cron also and I set it to just download the packages and send
> me an email if there's something to update. Then I log in and do the update
> manually (apt-get upgrade / dist-upgrade).
> If you have lots of servers, that wouldn't be practical I guess. But for 1-2
> servers I think it's not a big deal (IF you look at your emails fairly
> often, like once a day?).

I fully understand your point and this is not  so difficult to do an
ssh and do an apt-get upgrade if it is only one server.(Which is the
case).But the situation I am in is,
 I am not a permanent employee who would take care of this environment.
I have created this environment for some one who is interested to work
on this (with perspective of end user and not a sys admin). So I want
to make sure that if I leave things working perfectly.Even for a
novice.
So before I  make a cron job entry for this I thought of asking here.