Scott, Re: our talk earlier.
  I tried out vanilla. It defaults to "to the left of, with tops aligned".
Not bad at all. It does not remember where I may have moved it to
though... for example if I move the new monitor to the left of (where it
happens to be right now) and then pull the plug and wait for it to
reconfigure itself to single and then replug, it goes back to "to the
right of". There does not seem to be any way to save or change the
default. Mirror is an option.

Vanilla does reconfigure itself correctly back to single. This may be
because it sets up two workspaces.

So mostly it is right They are using something called deja-dup-monitor.

- I do not know what happens with more than two monitors :)
- not being able to set default placement is a fail, but maybe there is a
save option I missed.
- It is not possible to leave a gap between displays they are always edge
to edge.
->arandr does allow this.
- I would prefer default to bottom edge aligned not top as most setups
would have the bottoms physically aligned.
- The launcher is duplicated on both screens (selectable) and behaves
correctly too. That is it fits itself to the height of screen.
-> I don't think xfce is doing that The menu bar can span the two sreens
though.
- I did not check, but it looks like the two screens are different
workspaces. I did not try placing an application with part of the window
in one screen and part in the other.
-> in xfce both screens are in the same workspace, the virtual screen size
is expanded to fit all screens. I do not know if the settings can change
this.

So some questions:
- Is setting multi-monitor defaults rather than exact the better way to do
things? Or should the system remember a setting for each pair of monitors
and default for something new? This would allow setting up a normal
monitor to beside and an unknown to mirror for example. Assuming an
unknown is being used as a projector and mirror makes more sense.
- Should we be looking for one virtual screen or workspace per screen?
- If we choose workspaces, what happens with more than two? or if one is
either side of of main?

I don't think we can use the setup vanilla has, but we should try that
first I think.

Before we play with what we have, it would be really good to define as
exactly as possible what we want.

At the very least, going back to a single in the middle of a session needs
to behave correctly.

I expect more and more external monitors to be USB devices. laptops have
lost port styles and are now down to USB, xvga and E-net. I expect xvga
will be the next one to vanish.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net