On 2015-06-17 12:42, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> Set had the same proposal, but I I have been pushing to follow standards
> as closely as possible, and there is no freedesktop category for
> "visual". Video is rather a mix between audio and graphics, which does
> not make it strictly visual, so I do feel it is correct not lumping it
> with graphics all together. The three main categories in how freedesktop
> standardizes is:
>   * Audio
>   * Graphics
>   * Video

It sort of work on the orthology[1] level to reduce it to 2 work-flows,
but doesn't work well on the computing level. Reducing it to "audio" and
"visual" comes with an endless mind-puzzle of what is where and why...
Or even one-way questions like: why not throw it all under "multimedia"? :)

Having a wider base-taxonomy is a better choice to avoid having software
appearing in many different places.

TL;DR
I've come to reason about those 3 categories making perfect sense.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthology_%28language%29

--
Set Hallstrom