On Aug 6, 2009 9:08pm, Natalia Rakowski n_rakow...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 8/6/09, beej...@gmail.com beej...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure what specific issues you might run into, I'm getting my info from this old e-mail from Cory K.:

"Just a note: This current chat was my concern. Grabbing -desktop grabs
-settings and -menu. This will cause issues. If it already hasn't been
set to conflict in Jaunty, it will be. This "side grade" will be
investigated. I think the future recommendation will to only grab the
multimedia metas and the art.

-Cory K."

It doesn't go into details, though I think later in that thread he mentions there are issues when either upgrading to a new version of Ubuntu, or of you try to side-grade back to a regular Ubuntu install.

Also, you're right that the Ubuntu Studio Preparation documentation doesn't mention at all that you can just download the metapackages. This is something that someone should probably just take the initiative and write (Hey, maybe even me.) Like many people, I'm familiar with this way of side-grading from doing it with older versions and reading this list.

Resending this post, because I just realized I sent it to only Natalia and not the whole list.

Also, I realize now that Natalia was referring to the bottom-post policy. I don't think this is mentioned on the website anywhere. It probably should be.