Moin Hartmut,

I was messing around with lucid's amd64 betas and some bleeding-edge
ppas (not on productive partition ;) ) and suddenly Nvidia proprietary
drivers stopped working.
So I had to remove these ppas, downgrade all xorg stuff to lucid
standards, remove jockey and all nvidia stuff besides nv, and installed
last driver from Nvidia's site manually as described in many howtos. Now
ubuntu's kernels 2.6.31-10-rt and 2.6.31-12-realtime again cooperate
with Nvidia 172.14.25 and my old fx5200. I love this legacy card due to
it's noiseless passive cooling.
But it may depend on your card and driver. Did you give nvnews and their
linux section a look?

Gruesse

bluesscream