I had a similar problem when I installed Edubuntu 10.04 amd on a PC
with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 4GiB RAM, 320GB
disk and video NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. I do not have a
definitive solution (i think the problem is related with
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and the nvidia driver) but:
* If you are in tty1 (Console): login and type command: "sudo
/etc/init.d/gdm restart".
* Provisional solution: I reinstalled the software (I have a separated
partition for /home), and I avoid to use propietary driver, but i do
not have full hardware acceleration...

---------