On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 13:25 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> > <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >         On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 17:15 +0100, Ricardo Lameiro wrote:
> >         > I agree with you. I think the best compromise is to use the
> >         Hard RT
> >         > kernel patch on top of vanilla kernel, and have the Generic
> >         kernel for
> >         > everyday usage.
> >         > You can choose which kernel to boot from at the beginning,
> >

> >         I only use vanilla + rt-patched kernels for audio-video and
> >         everyday
> >         usage. The only difference is the CPU frequency scaling. For
> >         everyday
> >         usage I set it to ondemand and for audio-video work to
> >         performance and
> >         sometimes I manually enable hr timer when doing MIDI work.
> >
> >         IMO just a kernl-rt is needed, but as I mentioned before,
> >         people running
> >         32-bit architecture might need a patch to enable usage of
> >         large RAM.
> >
> >         But indeed, GRUB is our friend, we are free to use several
> >         kernels. OT:
> >         GRUB is a little bit more user-friendly than GRUB2 is ;).
> >
> >         > Hard RT kernel, should be the only one to be supported,
> >         since it is
> >         > the kernel that brings more benefits to audio/video
> >         production, If we
> >         > spread attention with 2 more kernel flavours, no one can
> >         support it,
> >         > and lets face it, abogani makes a hell of a good job, so we
> >         should
> >         > simplify is life :D
> >

> >         Hm, on my Ubuntu Studio, neither Abogani's, anyone else or my
> >         own build
> >         kernel-rt are ok :(. I can't boot any kernel-rt.
> >
> >         I'm able to run Suse with my self build kernel-rt, but not
> >         with the
> >         repositories once and I'm able to run 64 Studio (Hardy,
> >         Karmic) with
> >         kernel-rt from the repositories and self build kernels.
> >
> >         Live CDs, e.g. AV Linux are ok with the kernel-rt.
> >
> >         Anyway, the rt-patch could be a PITA, while the PREEMPT only
> >         kernel for
> >         Ubuntu Studio is ok on my machine, as far as a PREEMPT only
> >         kernel is
> >         able to do some jobs, but I'm able to boot the kernel.
> >
> >         IMO we only should take care of the kernel-rt and no other
> >         kernel.
> >         Hard disk drives today are less expensive so everybody should
> >         be able to
> >         install a distro for audio-video usage and if needed other
> >         distros for
> >         other usages, because not only the kernel makes a different.
> >         IMO a DAW
> >         e.g. don't need the security that's needed for some other
> >         usages.
> >
> >         I'm running several Linux, no Windows, on my 2 core AMD 64-bit
> >         PC, for
> >         everyday usage and audio-MIDI productions, all Linux with
> [...]

Ralf,

How do you suggest that the -rt kernel be included in Ubuntu Studio if it is
not in the Ubuntu repositories?

This is not a rhetorical question.  I, as Ubuntu Studio project lead, would
like to include it.  If you can provide a tenable method to include the -rt
kernel in the Ubuntu Studio ISO image I would like to implement it.

If an acceptable solution is not found to include it in the ISO then I
believe that we are providing the next best solution; provide another
performance tuned kernel (i.e. -lowlatency) and make sure that the -rt
kernel is available in PPA and people know about it.

I routinely run Ardour on my P4 2.3ghz desktop with 1.5gigs of memory and
the -generic kernel at 11msecs latency and only see xruns when starting
applications.  I would imagine that the -lowlatency kernel gives even better
performance.

Please test the other kernels available before saying that running
applications without a rt-patched kernel is pointless.

Regards,
ScottL