On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM, bart deruyter <bart.deruy...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/11/11 Bernard Hurley <bern...@marcade.biz>
>
> On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 16:36 -0500, Scott Lavender wrote:
>> > Hello again.
>> >
>> > We are almost a month from the first Alpha image for Ubuntu Studio and
>> > I wanted to share an update about Ubuntu Studio Natty Narwhal 11.04.
>> >
>> Sorry for not replying earlier. To my mind lilypond + frescobaldi far
>> superior to mscore. But if both are in the archive that's OK. Actually
>> I'm not sure if frescobaldi is in the archive or if I installed it from
>> somewhere else.
>>
>> You might also consider putting Fomus, and, when it has been packaged,
>> Common Music, from the puredyne ppa in the archive. A lot of development
>> is going into CM + fomus + lily. I am working on another front end to
>> this system, called Kaa, which I hope will end up as a sort of
>> compositional rapid prototype tool.
>>
>> Bernard
>>

>> --
>>

> Lilypond + frescobaldi might be more difficult to learn indeed, but I agree
> with it's quality. On top of that mscore doesn't have the possibility to add
> tabs to your score (perhaps an svn version can, but I guess it's not quite
> stable yet). Ok, there's tuxguitar for that, but tuxguitar is not really
> ment for printing, more for displaying on a screen. In my experience
> printing from tuxguitar is not good at all. Perhaps the option is to keep
> lilypond installed by default,and add frescobaldi (or have it at least in
> the archive).
>
> The version of mscore that was installed in 10.04 by default was very buggy
> too. Ironically I had to install a newer, unstable version, to have it
> stable (dragging slurs caused crashes). So it was actually useless to have
> it installed by default in the first place.
>
> grtz,
> Bart
>
> http://www.bartart3d.be/

As I've voiced to the other developers in IRC, I also see Lilypond +
Frescobaldi as the best notation software for those who want to write
anything complex (though guitar tabs isn't really even that complex).  I
have added a workflow, which includes Lilypond and Frescobaldi, to the wiki
page where all of this is being hashed out - *AND I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO
ADD TO THE WIKI PAGE* to get more processes and veiwpoints involved in this
development process.  Bernard, for instance should probably add a workflow
that includes Common Music if that task isn't already taken by a superior
program or other workflows (maybe even if it is).

Without community involvement adjusting the wiki page a lot of the
suggestions in this e-mail thread will fall to the dregs of past history
without full consideration by all developers.  Please add your ideas to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Workflows

- Eric Hedekar