According to me, DSSI-VST might be installed into standard UbuntuStudio, unless I am mistaken and it is into TangoStudio...

Reaper does work fine with UbuntuStudio and lots of VST's do work well within it. It is supposed to be one of the best when it comes to running VST's. The only limitation I have encountered is that it accepts only the number of material inputs from the soundcard under Jack, using Wineasio.

E.G. : Jack would let 32 outputs from Hydrogen (sorry, it's my drum machine), but only 2 inputs toward Reaper.

But Reaper can allow X outputs from a given VST, depending on the VST itself, so it may not be a worry for you.

Ther is also JOST : Jack Host, http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=4 , or http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=JOST for a French description.

Supports VST, LADSPA and DSSI plugins...