On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 14:56 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> purge-ppa is the tool.. assuming you added a ppa to upgrade XFCE...
> when you purge-ppa you are downgrading all packages, and removing the
> new source.

I had a look at the PPA including purge-ppa [1].
Just install purge-ppa and then disable the repository, don't upgrade
with this repository enabled, since it might upgrade packages you won't
upgrade, to keep your Ubuntu (Studio) stable.

Regards,
Ralf

root@precise:~# add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
 The main Web Upd8 PPA maintained by: http://www.webupd8.org/

To add this PPA, simply paste this in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

Packages in this PPA: audacious, autotrash, awn-applet-radio,
awn-applet-wm, bluetile, calise, cmus, defrag, dockbarx,
dockbarx-themes-extra, dropbox-share, ekiga, exaile, fatrat, gimp,
gimp-plugin-registry, gnome-globalmenu, gnome-subtitles,
gnome-window-applets, grsync, grive, gthumb, indicator-shutter,
launchpad-getkeys, mc (Midnight Commander), mdm (Mint Display Manager),
minitunes, minitube, musique, mintmenu, n2n, notifyosdconfig,
nautilus-columns, newsbeuter, pinta, ppa-purge, rosa-media-player, fixed
pulseaudio-equalizer, specto, subtitleeditor, switcher, syncwall,
talika, terminator, turpial, umplayer, unity-reboot, update-java,
watchvideo, youtube-dl, xournal and zaz. Almost all packages are updated
to their latest version.

For other (specialized) PPAs we maintain, see:
https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/webupd8
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 157, in <module>
    sys.stdin.readline()
KeyboardInterrupt