On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 09:07 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI is what I have
> used. Either just the "additonal drivers" gui or the command line. I
> have an nvidia card where setting the resolution was problematic for
> me, so I use a custom xorg.conf. I grabbed this config from a knoppix
> live cd running on the hardware in question and edited a few things.
>
> Is the gui working for you to install the driver? If so, does it
> generate its own xorg.conf? Have you tried the xorg.conf you are
> troubleshooting with the vesa driver?

I still need to troubleshoot. Since vesa can't provide the needed
resolution, I at least could test, if the frequency would be ok.

"The current version of Catalyst doesn't support xorg-server 1.13 at the
moment. Catalyst < 12.6 doesn't support xorg-server 1.12." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst

Regarding to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx I
need Catalyst version 9.3 and Quantal's X is versionn 1.13.

spinymouse@qrc:~$ fglrxinfo
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  12
spinymouse@qrc:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]
spinymouse@qrc:~$ ls /usr/src
fglrx-9.000  linux-headers-3.5.0-17  linux-headers-3.5.0-17-lowlatency

I suspect that for Precise there also is a conflict between Catalyst and
X.

I guess I have to get a config for the radeon by trial and error.

Regards,
Ralf