Thanks, Ben
I do have 2.5 linux setups (don't have full-time access to the third, so
2.5).
The rub is they are not identical hardware and do not behave the same with
identical software, which I gave up trying to achieve.
So I am now running Ubuntu 12.10 on one, Ubuntu Studio 12.10 on my main
machine, and a hodge-podge mostly 12.04 on a mini laptop which is
ethernetted into my main one..
Am I correct that SUDO gives temporary super-user status (but not root)?
I had what had to have been one of the rare few personally-owned Unix
machines back in the early '80s, and am trying to dredge up and/or replace
the old knowledge, after being mainly in the windows world from around 1984
until late last year..
Bizarre, I admit.