On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 19:22:12 +0000 (UTC), Devon Richardson wrote:
>Hi I recently did a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS. I can
>play audio cds and also dvds but the system does not recognize data
>cds. I did not have that problem in 14.04. What can I do?

Data CDs must be mounted, before you can get access. I'm not booted
into Ubuntu right now, but from command line it likely should work like
this:

  sudo mkdir -p /media/optical
  sudo chown root:cdrom /media/optical
  sudo mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /media/optical

The following is completely not my approach, I guess mounting by

  thunar

should work like this:

  Edit > Preferences... > Advanced > [x] Enable Volume Managment

It likely requires the package GVFS, that most likely is installed by
default.

If you run

  id

the user by default should be in the group "cdrom".

Also launch

  xfce4-settings-manager

and take a look at

  Removable drives and media > Storage > Removable Storage > ...

Regards,
Ralf