The following entry in my /etc/fstab file on an Ubuntu Studio client running 16.04 mounts the CIFS share on the FreeBSD 10 server running Samba 3 without problems:

//opteron16/share /media/opteron16/share cifs credentials=/home/mikes/.smbcredentials,uid=7961,gid=4001 0 0

It doesn't work with 18.04.  I was able to get it to work by using NTLM but that workaround has also stopped working, apparently with the latest security fixes.

Rather than try to solve it I've worked around it; I've gone through and changed the UID and GID of my user ID on the Ubuntu Studio boxes to what it is on the FreeBSD boxes and now just do an NFS mount, which works fine.

The message I get in 18.04 is that the mount can only be performed by root.

I'm not the only one with this problem, saw a number of references online to the problem in 18.xx Ubuntu versions.

Mike Squires

--
Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.
546 North Park Ridge Road