Just another data point. Not btrfs in this case.

I did a uefi install,  both "take the default" and partitioned by hand on a
new ssd. The usb stick boots fine, install proceeds withoutn issue.

The ssd wouldn't boot.

Attempted three times with same result. The file structure on the ssd looks
normal. (with a fat32 as the first partition, then ext4, then swap, then
ext4) So, I'm still searching for the secret sauce.

This is a System76 laptop that has always been an issue installing uefi
OS's. Except Manjaro, which just works.