Hi Jim,

On 12/19/2023 2:25 PM, Jim Hicinbothom wrote:
Pro audio world impacted hugely by Apple dropping FireWire support from MacOS.   Seems to me that this is a HUGE opportunity if someone has funding to invest in Ubuntu Studio to fully support and RESCUE pro audio FireWire gear.
Ubuntu Studio has supported FireWire since the Linux Kernel and ALSA (the basis for the audio stack) has supported FireWire. Additionally, the new audio stack, based on PipeWire, supports FireWire. There's an additional layer called FFADO that is also supported by PipeWire.

What do you think?  Anyone from Canonical monitoring this list? This resonates STRONGLY with the ethos of linux, IMHO.
Canonical does not financially or directly support the development of Ubuntu Studio. It is purely a volunteer effort supported by donations. As an official flavor of Ubuntu, Canonical provides build infrastructure and assistance, but that's about as far as it goes. There might be some from Canonical participating or reading this list, but they likely don't have the power to do what you're suggesting.

Imagine, with a beta of another significant DAW (PreSonus Studio One) now testing on Ubuntu-based boxes, if a BETTER way to do pro audio, in real pro audio studios, using massive amounts of old but fully functional FireWire based gear, with UbuntuStudio running on, say new AMD hardware with the new XDNA AI Engines and DSP/FPGA capabilities AMD now has in-house.  All for MUCH LESS initial capital than is required to make a whole studio Apple-hardware-based....

I truly believe there is a significant opportunity here to support a lot of suddenly otherwise useless gear that's still totally functional.  Leverage this gear for both pro audio and for other content creators who might also benefit.  Lowering the entry price for MAKING, CREATING, is a key reason I've supported linux since it started.  I presume that's also a key part of why y'all are interested in UbuntuStudio, too.

Here's the story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCivQie5tME

PreSonus Studio One beta on Ubuntu: https://www.phoronix.com/news/PreSonus-Studio-One-On-Linux

Disclaimer:  I am NOT a pro audio guy, at all.  So keep your salt shaker handy.

While having something like PreSonus Studio One pre-installed on Ubuntu Studio would be nice, it is, unfortunately, neither open source, and it carries a proprietary license meaning we're not allowed to distribute it either. In order to be able to be carried by Ubuntu Studio (or any Linux distribution), it must be Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Software. We have to be able to build it from its source code. That cannot be done with Studio One.

That said, there's nothing stopping anyone from installing Studio One on their Ubuntu Studio setup once they have it on their system. Yes, it's an extra step, and one we cannot directly support, but it sounds like Presonus is willing to support it from their end.

I'd also like to direct your attention to one that we *do* preinstall: Ardour. It's as professional of a DAW as it gets, and forms the basis for another DAW created by one of the most renowned names in professional audio: Harrison Consoles. Ardour forms the basis for Harrison Mixbus, both the regular and Mixbus 32c. Mixbus is proprietary software, but every purchase goes toward the development of Ardour. Personally, Mixbus is a favorite of mine, and I demonstrated both at Ubuntu Summit 2023 in Riga, Latvia last month: Live Mixing with PipeWire and Ardour/Harrison Mixbus
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJM-RdA7iZw>

Anyhow, thanks for opening the discussion! I just wanted to clarify what we can/can't do, and I do encourage others to join in the discussion and ask questions.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio