** Description changed:

- Hi,
+ Five redundant or unclear strings causing small localization problems.

- while translating software-center in Ubuntu for Oneiric, I found some
- strings that are inconsistent, resulting in duplicated translation
- messages, or strings that are not really clear from an i18n/l10n point
- of view.
+ = 1 =

- The inconsistent strings follows:
-
+ softwarecenter/ui/gtk/softwarepane.py contains this string:
  Try <a href="search-unsupported:">the %(amount)d item that matches</a> in
software not maintained by Canonical.
  Try <a href="search-unsupported:">the %(amount)d items that match</a> in
software not maintained by Canonical.

+ softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/widgets/searchaid.py contains this string, which is
nearly identical:
  Try <a href="search-unsupported:">the %(amount)d item that matches</a> in
software not maintained by Canonical
  Try <a href="search-unsupported:">the %(amount)d items that match</a> in
software not maintained by Canonical

- The latter are located in:
- ../softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/widgets/searchaid.py
- The former in:
- ../softwarecenter/ui/gtk/softwarepane.py
+ The version with the periods is correct, and harmonizing them would reduce
translation effort required.
+
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#More_helpful_search_screen_for_no_results>

- I don't know which one is the blessed way of ending the sentence, but having
only one could be interesting.
- Also, on similar strings, I noticed that the href in one case ended with a
slash "/" while here with the colon ":". I report the strings for reference:
+ = 2 =
+
+ These strings are nearly identical, again with periods, and with ":" instead
of "/":
  Try <a href="search-parent/">the item in %(category)s</a> that matches
  Try <a href="search-parent/">the %(n)d items in %(category)s</a> that match
-
- That also are similar to these:
+ and
  Try <a href="search-parent:">the item in %(category)s</a> that matches.
  Try <a href="search-parent:">the %(n)d items in %(category)s</a> that match.

- Apart from the fullstop at the end of the sentence and the colon instead
- of the slash.
+ Again, the text with periods is correct.

- The not so clear strings are as follows:
+ = 3 =

  ETA: %s (located in ../softwarecenter/ui/gtk/pendingview.py)

  Non-tech people might don't even know what that acronym stands for.

+ = 4 =
+
  Modify Your %s Review (located in various files)

- Here it could be interesting to have a "named" variable or a translator
- comments, since in many languages that %s could be positioned in
- different parts of the sentence based on what will be substituted with
- it.
+ Probably should be "Edit".
+ <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter/RatingsAndReviews#review-layout>
+
+ If not, it could be interesting to have a "named" variable or a
+ translator comments, since in many languages that %s could be positioned
+ in different parts of the sentence based on what will be substituted
+ with it.
+
+ = 5 =

  No items match %s%s%s (located in
../softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/widgets/searchaid.py)
  No items in %s match %s%s%s (located in
../softwarecenter/ui/gtk3/widgets/searchaid.py)

- Here the triple %s will be substituted with: "%s" (using the Uniceod char for
the double quote)
+ Here the triple %s will be substituted with: "%s" (using the Unicode char for
the double quote)
  Many languages might use different double quotes rather than the hard coded
Unicode ones. I don't know if that has been done for some specific reasons, but
it could be interesting to have those quotes directly in the translatable
string.
-
- I apologise for not proposing a patch for all of this now, but I would
- like to understand if any of those was intentional or if they can be
- fix.
-
- Thank you for your attention.
- Ciao.

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Translations Coordinators, which is subscribed to Ubuntu Translations.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/841000

Title:
  Inconsistent or not clear strings for l10n

Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  Triaged
Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Five redundant or unclear strings causing small localization problems.

  = 1 =

[...]

  and