Yes, Gabor is correct. With NO_PKG_MANGLE we'll lose the possibility of
translating e-c in Launchpad, and it's not necessary for inline
translations in .desktop files.

Translations Coordinators, which is subscribed to Ubuntu Translations.

Title:
  Live CD "Examples" desktop item translations depended on having the PO
  files

Status in scripts for language pack handling and generating:
  Invalid
Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  Triaged
Status in “example-content” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: example-content

  Hi. I realized that the "Examples" icon on the desktop when running
  live-CD depended on having the translations inside package when the
  language packs haven't yet been installed. example-content 38 removed
  the few PO files that were included. Since the "Install Ubuntu 9.10"
  above it is correctly translated, it would be a little more coherent
  to have also Examples translated (although eg. the menus anyway are
  not translated).

  The solution for this would be to export all translations from
  https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/example-
  content/+pots/example-content and include them into source package.
  The translations are less than kilobyte each. This exception is done
  also eg. for xdg-user-dirs, the ubiquity icon etc.