I talked with Martin Pitt, who let me know that it's intentional
behavior that gettext gives precedence to /usr/share/locale over
/usr/share/locale-langpack.

apt is one of those 'special' packages in main where the translations
shipped with the source package are not stripped at build time. It means
that the apt.mo files installed by the language packs are not effective
(as we have already figured out). So in case of apt (and a few other
special packages) translation updates need to go into the package to
make a difference to the users.

@Julian: The Xenial template in Launchpad seems to have been updated
2016-03-25 (attached). The easiest (I think) way to get the actual
translations is to download them from Launchpad, and simply replace the
PO files in the package.

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/apt/+pots/apt

There shouldn't be a need to manually merge as you described. (Possibly
I have missed something.)

** Attachment added: "build_po_apt.pot"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1637801/+attachment/4772060/+files/build_po_apt.pot

** No longer affects: gettext (Ubuntu)

Translations Coordinators, which is subscribed to Ubuntu Translations.

Title:
  Incorrect Russian translation of "apt list --upgradeable" results

Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  Invalid
Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  bor@bor-Latitude-E5450:~$ apt list --upgradeable
  Вывод списка… Готово
  build/неизвестно 20161025 all [может быть обновлён до: 20151105]

  In Russian this means "version 20161025 can be upgraded TO version
  20151105)

  While original English says exactly opposite:

  bor@bor-Latitude-E5450:~$ LC_ALL=C LANG=C apt list --upgradeable
  Listing... Done
  build/unknown 20161025 all [upgradable from: 20151105]

  Literal translation (that does not require serious phrase change)
  would probably be

  "может быть обновлен с"

  although it sounds also artificial, as in Russian subject is package
  that is being updated (currently installed), not new version.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: apt 1.2.12~ubuntu16.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-25.27~16.04.1-generic 4.8.1
  Uname: Linux 4.8.0-25-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Oct 30 09:39:47 2016
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is a distribution channel descriptor
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-trusty-amd64-20140620-0
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20140620-04:25
  SourcePackage: apt
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-10-29 (0 days ago)