I figured out a hackish solution to this, which I think will work.
Building with the attached debdiff ought to give us a translation
template with the strings in the .desktop file. Then the strings can be
translated in LP, and after next update of the language packs the
strings should show up translated.

** Patch added: "remmina-translations.debdiff"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/remmina/+bug/1746004/+attachment/5047817/+files/remmina-translations.debdiff

** Changed in: remmina (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: remmina (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: remmina (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj)

** Tags added: patch

Translations Coordinators, which is subscribed to Ubuntu Translations.

Title:
  Desktop Action menus of Remmina are not translated

Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  New
Status in remmina package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Desktop Action menus of Remmina are not translated although they are
  fully translated in the upstream desktop file. It looks like that the
  translation is not applied for some reason. Maybe because Ubuntu is
  using gettext instead of having the translated strings directly in the
  desktop files?