On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM, goto <g...@computerwerk.org> wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I guess you know about the current refugee crisis in Europe.
>
> Our club has set up a some machines with Xubuntu for a local refugee
> camp to allow refugees getting their stuff done.
>
> Most of the refugees speak only Arabic, Kurdish or Farsi(Persian).
>
> Sadly XFCE is not that good translated and most of the XFCE elements are
> still not working.
>
> We need the translation urgently because the refugees can't use the
> machines until they learned English or German or the translation got
> better.
>
> We try to encourage local people speaking this languages (and English
> speaking refugees) to help us translating this stuff.
>
> My two questions are:
> 1) If we tell the people to use the official Site:
> https://www.transifex.com/xfce/public/ - How long does it take until we
> get the translation on out local machines?
> 2) If we decide to build our own .lo/.mo-files with the translated texts
> - Can we submit them to the translation project?

I think the priority is to select an environment, if any, that has an
existing localisation
for those languages.
If you were to attempt to fix the missing localisation in XFCE,
it would take too much of resources which I suppose you may not have.

Do you need a desktop environment fully localised or would it suffice to
have at least
the visible messages of a browser localised?
Which distribution comes with the appropriate fonts and writing support for
the mentioned languages?
Do you really need Farsi localisation or do you need Pashto (or even Urdu)?

Simos