On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 13:10 +0100, Dianne Reuby wrote:
> I've had a good report on Orange broadband, from someone who uses it to
> run his business. But the CD only list Windows, and website requirements
> state Windows. I've asked about Linux, but while I wait for a reply,
> does anyone else use Orange broadband with Ubuntu?

I set up a connection with Orange and didn't bother with the CD - IMHO
no-one should bother with these things, even if they were to work with
Linux.  Just remember the people who design those disks are only a few
steps up in the same food chain as Customer Support people.

Sorry I can't remember the specifics of the setup but, if I can dig
something out, I'll get back to you ASAP.  Accessing the settings is a
doddle, though, via your web browser.  Connect the Ethernet cable, get
the page up (the address of this I can't recall, though have a look at
the orange site for instructions for manual setup or call Orange), enter
your username and password and you're in.

In short, it can be done.

The Orange site should have some info for securing your wireless
connection.  If you're unsure about this, though, post back.

Quality-wise, I can't judge yet.  I do know I kept getting an error
message when trying to send email with my gmail account via Evolution,
which wasn't happening with other connections that I use.

Someone's mentioned the high quality of Virgin Media's broadband.  This
I definitely agree with.