On 4/28/07, TheVeech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 23:12 +0100, TheVeech wrote:
> >   Currently I using Daffy, not Edgy.  do you want me to put basero
> on
> > my compact laptop or on Tiger in the mac mini when it comes?  I'm
> not
> > sure of the worth of the CD drive on the laptop, it's about 5 or 6
> > years old.  I have another mac mini a year old running Tiger with a
> CD
> > drive which does't like ejecting its discs so I use it as little as
> > possible (I use pen drives for backup).  Should I buy new discs and
> > are there different sorts, if so what should I get and how many?
> > Would a  pen drive do the job ?  Had a look at the forum you
> recommend
> > above, reassuring in some ways, daunting in others.  At the end of
> the
> > day, I  need to be in serious business with OOo and have no fears
> > about a new version if it is a development of the old.  Other
> software
> > can be added at leisure.  Thank you for your help.  Robin

You should be fine with OO.org then.

You'll have to install Brasero on your Ubuntu installation, unless it's
available on Tiger - I'll look later, but I'm watching Match of the Day
at the moment, and I've only just realised that I've already
inadvertently sent 2 replies!

We've got time for you to try writing the disk image on the laptop.
Like I've said, though, if you can burn a disk image with software on
your existing Mac, give it a go.

We could try installing off your pen drive, but I want to keep it
simple, so we'll start off with the intention of using a CD.  We may
need to play with the BIOS (check wikipedia for definition), but on this
I haven't got the slightest idea how Apple machines approach this.
Something else to look into.

Get whatever disks your drive supports.  Any CD you can write to should
be okay.  Ideally burn 2 copies just in case one fails during the actual
install - this has happened with installs I've done in the past with no
prior warning whatsoever.  Just get as few disks as you can.

The forum thread is a bit daunting in parts, but at least the people on
it are reporting success!  I might try and get in touch with the people
who posted there for their experiences after the weekend, seeing as
though they're using these specific machines.

Back to partitioning, I'll look further into this and hope people on the
list post their thoughts on it, too.  Don't forget, though, that it's
your computer, so you're the boss.  Just because people might be helping
you out, this doesn't mean that you're under any obligation to accept
anything you don't want.

I'd suggest setting the Mac up to use Ubuntu only, and ditch Mac's OS.
The reasoning behind this I've mentioned before.  I'd add that my
opinion is that you're better off sticking with one OS to avoid
confusion and not water down your knowledge across multiple OSes and
applications.  Get to know one well, rather than two superficially.  You
need to consider this choice, and I don't mind whatever you decide.

I am happy to agree with you.  Mac Tiger is a decent job but has an annoying
way of hiding each of the several different ways of doing something - which
is maddening when one's memory isn't what it used to be.  Searching in
Ubuntu I find intuitively easier and less confusing.

Here's roughly (ignoring 1024) what I'd do with an 80gb disk with, say,
1gb of RAM (RAM we need to confirm since conventional wisdom is to set a
Swap partition of double your amount of RAM):

/ (root)
8gb ext3 bootable

/home
70gb ext3

/swap
2gb

I can only accept your advice  on this (amended for 60gb HDD)

Finally, don't thank anyone yet.  We've yet to do the work.  Despite me
nagging you more than you probably deserve, the thing that really
impresses me is that you've stuck with Linux.