Robin Menneer wrote:
> I have two mac minis, one of which will be converted to Ubuntu to
> replace my aged laptop.  There is an opportunity to buy gear to
> prevent lightning strike and damage from power surges to telephone and
> computers.  Is the best way to buy an auxillary power supplly, if so,
> what make and model ?  What alternatives ought to be considered,
> please.  We are in a bad spot for electrical storms.  Robin

I feel the correct answer here is to consult a qualified and certified
electrician who can review your supply and decide how best to isolate
and manage the potential strike damage.  Whilst I make use of Belkin
surgeprotectors and use a seperate ring to run my office on as well as
ensuring it has its own earthing spike and RCD to isolate the various
circuits I still cannot guarantee there will not be damage. but if all
your trying to reduce is the damage or effect of large spikes and surges
then the Belkin or Stanley trailing socket extension lead should do the
trick.

Mind you this is just my opinion and in no way represents fact or advice.

Nik