Robert McWilliam wrote:
> When buying online you have a period of time (I can never remember how
> long it is) to return products for any reason. If I can't get good info
> on whether or not hardware will work I tend to go for the approach of
> buying something and if it doesn't work sending it back (putting down
> its lack of compatibility with linux as the reason - if enough people
> do this we might start getting better info).

It depends on whether (and when) you are notified of your right to cancel.

- If you are notified of your right to cancel on the site, then it is 8
days from the date of delivery of the goods
- If you are notified of your right to cancel after delivery, but within
three months of purchase, then it's 8 days from that notification
- If you are not notified of your right to cancel, it is three months
plus eight days from the date of delivery

[Technically, all the 8 days are "Seven days from the date after the day
on which the goods were delivered", but I can add one and seven :-)]

The applicable legislation is the European Directive on Distance Selling
(Directive 97/7/EC),

There are a few critical exceptions, including:

- goods sold to businesses (only B2C transactions are covered)
- anything sold by an auction (but Buy It Now stuff _IS_ covered, even
if listed on an auction site)
- personalised goods (made to order stuff)
- some classes of goods - includin goods likely to deteriorate rapidly
(eg dairy products), newspapers, periodicals, magazines, Financial
services, financial products where pricing is based on fluctuating
markets, land and buildings
... and Software, Audio recordings and video recordigs where the seal
has been opened

Regards,

Mark