There is a bit of software whose name I can't remember, hence Google is
not my friend :-)

You run this software on multiple machines, and stick their monitors
next to each other across your desktop. One of the machines has a
keyboard and mouse attached.)

When you run the mouse off the right-hand-side of machine A, it
effectively transfers a cursor over to a "matching" point on the LEFT of
machine B, and transfers keyboard control to that machine.

1: What is this called?

2: How scalable is it? (To multiple machines, multiple monitors on a
given machine, Y axis as well as X axis).

3: Can I, in fact, drag and drop application windows between desktops (x
would allow me to do this, I'm sure, though I'm not sure about windows
that overlap multiple x desktops....)

4: Does it allow Windows machines to become part of the "array" (mea
culpa, I still need a Windows machine for work.) [1]

Regards,

Mark

[1]... because I need to test our websites against Windows clients and
IE bugs, that's why.