2008/5/12 Chris Oattes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  I'm afraid that this isn't the case:
>
>  "Do I need a TV Licence if I only watch programmes online?
>
>  It makes no difference how you watch TV - whether it's on your laptop,
>  PC or mobile phone or through a digital box, DVD recorder or TV set - if
>  you use any device to receive television programmes as they're being
>  shown on TV, the law requires you to be covered by a TV Licence.
>
>  You will not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as
>  long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time
>  as you are viewing it."
>
>  http://tinyurl.com/6loxlw (using tinyurl because the licensing URL is huge)
>
>  Chris.

The key point for discussion in this case (IMO) is the phrase "covered by"

The point Tony made was that you don't need a separate license for a
portable device. I.e. if I have a license at home, and take my battery
powered TV receptacle to my caravan in Skegness, I don't need ANOTHER
license for the caravan, as the home one covers it.

--
Steve Garton
http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk