James Grabham wrote:
> I'm sure you've all seen the news concerning ISPs.
>
> Now I for one AM NOT paying someone to invade my privacy be logging what
> IPs I visit, so TalkTalk are getting the boot.
>
> Which means I'm a bit stuck; AOL, Virgin, Sky, Tiscali and
> Orange/Wanadoo are all out.
>
> I'm thinking Pipex business - static IP, unlimited downloads but it's
> £20 a month + VAT.
>
> What do others use/recommend?  Unlimited Downloads is a must. Static IP
> would be a plus

I was with demon internet for many years, with a static IP, which I
did not need. The basic service was ok, BT line 'up to' 8mb, no set
limits. However they lost the personal service feel, and had lots of
customer  accounts billing criticisms. The contention ration was 50:1
and my connection gave less than 2MB download speeds in reality. For
25 ukp pcm this was expensive.

Local loop unbundling in my area (bracknell) offered a possible use of
Ukonline isp for 15 ukp pcm and 30:1 ratio in their network, non fixed
ip, no limits, for 2MB connection. I changed to them recently, no
problems.

As I expected, I get much faster download speeds now with a real 2MB
line with 30:1, and I save 10 ukp pcm  :-)

I use p2p for foss and seeding, and the fair use says that although
the service is unlimited downloads, if any user impacts too much they
will be informed in writing a few times and then if unchanged, will
(simply) be put on a connection for 50:1 contention ratio. Later will
be reverted back when appropriate. This seemed ok to me, although I
doubt if it is going to affect me for my modest upload seeding.

However, I am attracted to the idea in principle also of using the
local loop unbundled opportunity - should help some reasonable
competition.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391