On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:34:42PM +0100, Andrew Oakley wrote:
> MPlayer, Totem and Xine do not appear to have this facility at all,
> although they do play back DVDs very well.

MPlayer can do cropping (there are a couple of options depending on
which vo you're using or using a filter - search for crop in the
mplayer man page) but I think it has to be specified on the command
line rather than done interactively once it's started playing. If all
the videos need the same settings then you could figure out what they
are (-vf cropdetect should help there) and set up an alias.

    Robert