Ah -- apparently this is a known bug in Ubuntu-mac installations.If you get
rEFIt first, that can ease the pain.
In the end, I created a bootable rEFIt disk, used the partition tool on that
to synch the drive (the tool asked me if I would let it fix it & I said
yes), and then restored the working external drive to the internal, and all
was well.
Grief!
I'm going to do the Ubuntu install again some time when the adrenaline has
worn off!
Cheers,
   Doug.