> Same issue as that John fella, with his difficulties understanding
> shell.  As there are currently more people using Windows by Linux (by
> quite some way) then those who need "friends to come around to help"
> would probably be better with Windows.
>
> But I'd probably suggest Linux to those people over OS-X, because
> their Windows mates might be able to figure out how to use Linux as it
> is similar (and the majority of the key combinations (eg.
> ctrl-alt-delete)) are the same whereas OS-X has a completely different
> methodology altogether.
>
> Sean

I have to say that I have always wanted to use Linux, Ubuntu in
particular, since I saw a friend using it. It took me a long time to
pluck up the courage to try a partition, then I discovered Wubi, that
opened it up for me.

I have to agree with Doug, and add Linux is more for somebody who is
proficient in programming, and is more for those who are used to
computers in general.

People do want a work out of the box machine, and Ubuntu isnt totally
out of the box, it does need other bits and pieces added, and unless you
know that, it doesnt work how most people are used to having a machine
work. Unless you spend a lot of time reading through the pages and pages
of the Ubuntu wiki, you wouldnt know that there are extra repositories
that you need, to get certain things that you have already installed on
a Windows machine. I went for months before I got shown about medibuntu.
The forum helps in some respects but you get told on there, read the
wiki, or plough through searches on the forum, and then come back and
ask, if you cant get it to work.

I wanted to try get connected apart from my network at home through
wireless, you cannot do that without knowing how to use the terminal,
dongles from any of the main mobile carriers, wont work, just by
plugging it in, so no wireless outside of the house. I had to get told
about Bluetooth and Joiku spot, but Joiku spot wouldnt work with my 8.04
version, but it does now.

Each upgrade, could essentially cause the computer not to work. I went
from partitioning on 8.04 working to upgrading to 8.10, and not working.
My only visit to the London Lug and two people working on the machine
couldnt get it to work, froze the minute it got to the log in screen,
uninstalled the installed from a different cd, not a chance, then 9.10
came along, and it works again, but without a lot of the desktop extras.
Its the graphics card its not good enough. I have to thank Michael
Fletcher for spending quite a lot of time on the phone and pc to pc
working with it to get it to work. Same with adding Ubuntu onto my
netbook, it came with Linux lite, that took a while, and a lot of work
to get it how it is now. Thanks to Michael again.

There is something to Ubuntu not being a contender like Windows and Mac,
so many people take their Linux machines back, because they cant get it
to connect to their internet connection, and that is before you even
start with everything else. When I got my little netbook from the shop,
they warned me, you do realise it most likely wont work, keep the
receipt. This particular shop no longer stocks this netbook with Linux,
because they had so many bought back.

Plus, my experience in learning the shell script. I really do want to
learn it, and its been causing me so much frustration.

That is my experience so far with Linux, but I'm still here, trying,
'very trying' some would say, lol.

I wish I was doing this at school age, would probably be a lot easier.

This is also not a winge, its my experience as a novice.

John