I have a friend who is just beginning to use ubuntu (9.04), and she is
using VirginMobile internet from a usb dongle.
The webmail she uses is yahoo. However, just the last few days there
have been considerable problems. The yahoo login page has not been
completing, but hangs when only half complete. The mobile signal
strength is good (3/4 bars) and download speed is usually over 100kbs.
The problem is *only* with yahoo sign in, other online stuff is ok and
normal on the internet.

The browser is Firefox, and I tried before and after a FF ubuntu
update 3.0.12, and 3.0.13, I also tried epiphany browser (ubutu
repos), the problem stayed, it is not possible to login, most
obviously because the login button is not (yet) shown.

When I was testing this, I also tried  an adsl ethernet connection
which happens to be available nearby, yahoo all worked perfectly, no
problem, but substitute the usb dongle again for the ethernet and  -
problem back.

During the hang, a particular yahoo machine seemed to be indicated so
I wondered if this yahoo machine was a current problem. Also I am
aware that yahoo are doing a lot of changes, including to their home
page, and a lot more so maybe a bug will get sorted out soon.

On one occasion during the firefox hang, I pulled the dongle out and
the yahoo page suddenly appeared fully up and ok (??), but maybe
offline. I did not get a chance to repeat this action to confirm it or
investigate further.

I did try a googlemail account, sign-in with no problem.

I have emailed to yahoo with the information. I live in hope.

Any thoughts about why the problem and how to resolve it?

tia
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user