John Levin wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Something is borked on my Lenovo 3000 N500 laptop :(
>>>

> <snip>
>

> And one more update: I can log into gnome as a different user. So it's
> something corrupt in my profile. Can't think of what it could be - any
> suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> John

Hmmm, you say you can get to terminal right?

If you can login to a terminal (either console or other terminal) under
your normal user account, try renaming .gnome2 and .gnome2_private (they
are usually hidden directories):

mv .gnome2 .gnome2-old
mv .gnome2_private .gnome2_private-old

Then log out and try logging in again and see if it makes any
difference.  With any luck Gnome should re-create the folders and fix
the problem.

If all else fails just rename the folders back.

Hope this helps.

Rob