Hi there ....

Wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this.  I'm running Lucid on a
Dell Inspiron Mini v10.  Every 10th or so re-boot, it seems to carry out
a forced disk check.  I don't know if it's relevant, but it has an SSD
drive which I formatted ext2 on the advice on an Ubuntu forum as ext2 is
faster than ext3 and less write-intensive so more appropriate for an SSD.

Dring the forced check, the original Ubuntu splash screen was counting
up to around 71% and freezing.  Altering grub to remove "quiet splash"
showed that the boot process was getting beyond fsck and displaying a
further couple of lines.  I omitted to note down what these said.  I
tried including GRB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic".  This did not help.  I
currently have GRB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic, nolapic, noapci" in
/etc/default/grub (followed by update-grub), and the last couple of
times the disk  check has been observed, it has completed OK.

fsck was forced with the comment "disk not unmounted cleanly".  I don't
know why this happens as I've done a normal shutdown on every occasion
so far.  Any thoughts?

Also, I don't fully understand the implications for me of taking out
apic etc, and whether any of the apic/apci/lapic options might be what I
really need.  I've done almost no low level stuff, and am interested to
know a bit more.  Is there a grub expert in the house?

Regards,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) Health and Healing advisor to the East Midlands
Synod of the United Reformed Church.  See http://www.urc5.org.uk/index for
information about the synod, and http://www.urc5.org.uk/?q=node/703 for the
Synod Healing pages.

Replies - b.dr...@ntlworld.com